CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Secret and weight loss

Okay, I've pretty much bought into The Secret--there's some fine-tuning that I need to do to fit their theory with my experience, but I agree with about 97% of what they're saying.

When I lost weight in the 1990s, I never did watch what I ate. I never weighed myself, or fretted about what I could and could not eat. I was attending Weight Watchers, but I just slapped down in the diaries whatever I could remember about my daily food intake, attended the meetings, and went on with my life. And I lost weight.

Oh, sure, I was exercising a lot--about 4 times a week (being single means never having to worry about someone else's schedule). I went to at least two evening classes at the dojang, and then visited the health club on the weekends. Also, because I was attending weeknight classes, I never ate dinner before going. Nothing like getting the spaghetti kicked out of you in a Tae Kwon Do class. So I ate less.

But everything was integrated into my life, and it wasn't laid on top of it in an awkward way. then the weight loss was totally natural and easy. I reached the weight I wanted without any *extra* effort on my part. Nothing unnatural, just doing what I was going to do anyway. It wasn't forced, it didn't require constant vigilance or endless calorie counting and budgeting.

That's why it's like The Secret. With the Secret, you make your desire known to the Universe and then go about your day. The plan falls into place as you change your habits and attitudes to align with your thinking. You're not obsessing and beating yourself up--you're just living your life differently, and then different things happen.

Okay, so I really can't explain how my changed attitudes brought my husband into my life, and that was a Secret-type event. I had written down in great detail what I was looking for in a life partner: His looks, his character, his attitude towards life. Then I tucked it away for a while and continued to live my life the way it was.

When I went to a seminar in Manhattan, I'd forgotten all about that list I made. I never go to Manhattan, and had my hands full just coping with the Big Apple. When I met the speaker, all I knew was that he was from DC and I was from Albany--hundreds of miles apart. But we hit it off. We had a long-distance romance to begin with, moved in together, and then married.

It wasn't until later that I remembered the list I'd made, and found that he matched in all particulars (cue music from "The Twilight Zone"). I can't say that I did anything conscious to bring about our meeting, because I didn't even know he was there.

Anyway, The Secret can help. You don't have to change your eating habits, you have to change your life.

Back then, the saying that I thought about over and over was, "Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom. How to they learn it? They fall; and falling, are given wings." --Jellaluddin Rumi

I have to remember to fall, and believe that in falling, I will be given my wings.

0 comments: